Apparent Insurance Privacy Notice
We are committed to protecting your privacy by maintaining and using your personal information responsibly. This Privacy Notice describes how we protect, collect, use, and disclose your personal information. This Privacy Notice also describes choices you can make regarding your personal information.
What information do you collect about me?
We collect personal information about you from a variety of sources to quote and service your insurance policy.This information is called Nonpublic Personal Information (“Personal Information”) if it identifies you and is not available through a public information source. We have provided some examples of the types of personal information we collect, but not all of these examples may apply to you:
- Application Information: This is information you provide during your application process. It includes your name, street address, phone number, e-mail address, driver’s license number, Social Security number, date of birth, gender, marital status, vehicle information, and information about other drivers.
- Consumer Report Information: This is information we obtain from third party consumer reporting agencies. It includes your driving record, claims history with other insurers, and credit report information. The information that we share with consumer reporting agencies may be maintained by those agencies and disclosed to others as permitted by law.
- Transaction Information: This is information about your transactions with us. It includes your insurance policy information and claims history. It also includes financial information such as billing and payment information.
- Website Information: This information is unique to Internet transactions. It includes the website that linked you to ours, your computer operating system, and the pages you viewed on our site. Some websites, including ours, may also store “cookies” on your computer. Cookies collect technical data such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, operating system, and session ID. They may also save certain information entered by you.
It is important to promptly inform us of any change to your application information. This helps us to meet your changing insurance needs and protect your privacy. It is especially important to notify us about changes to your contact information, as we may need to speak to you or send you information about your insurance policy. To provide updates, please contact one of our customer care specialists at 1-877-764-8679.
How will you use and share this information about me?
We disclose your personal information only as permitted by law. For example, we may disclose your personal information to service your insurance policy, process insurance claims, offer you products or services, prevent fraud, or comply with legal requirements. For such reasons, we may share your personal information with:
- Claims adjusters, appraisers, auto repair shops, rental companies, and medical care providers
- Other companies that perform business functions on our behalf
- Insurance agents and brokers
- Lienholders and finance companies
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Insurance support organizations
- State insurance departments, police, or other governmental authorities
- Persons as ordered by an authorized subpoena, warrant, or other court order
- Our family of companies
Where permitted by law, we may also disclose Personal Information to service providers that help us market our products. These service providers may include companies with which we have joint marketing agreements.
How can I opt out?
We may disclose personal information to other companies so they may offer products and services to you. If you choose to opt out of disclosures made to other companies for their own independent marketing purposes, you may notify us of your decision by submitting your name and address in either of the following methods:
- Send an email to CustomerService@apparentinsurance.com. In the subject line, please include the phrase, “Do not share my information”.
- Send a written request not to share your information to the following address: Apparent Insurance, Attn: Do Not Share My Information, P.O. Box 5100, Glen Allen, VA 23058-5005
An opt out notice is effective until it is revoked by the customer. If you stop being our customer, we will continue to protect your privacy and acknowledge any opt out notices you provided regarding those inactive policies.
How do you protect my information?
We restrict access to your personal information to our employees and others who we determine must use it to provide our products and services or otherwise have a business need to know the information. We require those individuals with access to your personal information to protect it and keep it confidential. Their use of the information is limited by law, our employee Code of Ethics, and written agreements when appropriate. We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable legal requirements to protect your information.
How can I review and correct information you have about me?
You may review the personal information that we have collected about you. To review the personal information that we have collected about you, send a written request to:
Attn: Privacy Notice
PO Box 5100
Glen Allen, VA 23058-5005
You must describe the kind of information you want to review and state that your request is in response to this Privacy Notice. Please include your full name, address, and policy number (if applicable), and either your date of birth or driver’s license number. Within thirty business days, we will describe what is available and how you may request corrections.
We will also identify the companies that have provided consumer report information about you. However, we cannot correct consumer report information, such as your credit report. To correct consumer report information, you must contact the consumer reporting agency that provided it.
If you wish to correct information about you, send a written request to the address provided above and explain your desired correction. We will notify you in writing if we make those corrections or tell you why we will not. If required by law, we will also notify others who may have given or received that information. If we don’t make the requested correction, you may send a written statement to us about why you object, including the information you believe to be incorrect. We will send your statement to the same persons we would send a copy of any correction or change.
Is there additional information for Website visitors?
By visiting our website, you accept the practices described in this Privacy Notice. When you visit our website, we may use the information we collect to provide services to you. We may also use website information to help understand what you may want in order to enhance your online experience. For example, if you start an insurance quote on our website, but decide to finish it later, we will save your information so you may resume the process from the point where you left off.
We also use website information to analyze the use of our website. Information that does not identify you may be used for marketing purposes. We advertise on other companies’ websites. These sites may use technology (such as cookies) to transmit non-personally identifiable information about you to us or our service providers. We may use this information to analyze our marketing efforts.
We may use advertising companies to display our ads on other websites. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information about your visits to websites. In addition, we may share website usage information with these companies to manage advertisements, or for market research purposes.
You can choose to have your browser warn you each time a cookie is delivered to it, or you can choose to reject all cookies delivered through your browser. However, if you choose to reject cookies, features that make your web experience run more smoothly may not be available.
We may employ third party predictive analytic services/software which may monitor/analyze your actions interacting with our site.
Is there additional information for App users?
Is there additional information about email communications?
When you get a quote or purchase a policy, we collect your e-mail address so we may send promotional and transactional emails to you. If you no longer wish to receive promotional emails, you may opt-out by following the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each communication or by contacting CustomerService@apparentinsurance.com. Is there additional information about telephone solicitations? If you provide express written consent to receive marketing calls and texts, you authorize us and our representatives to contact you at the phone number you provide via call or text regarding the sale of insurance products and services using an auto-dialer and/or an artificial or pre-recorded voice, even if your number is on a do-not-call list. You are not required to provide your telephone number to receive a quote.
Links to other websites
To enhance your online experience, our website may include links to other sites outside our family of companies. Those websites will have their own privacy policies that you may wish to review. We have no responsibility for these linked websites.
Modifications to the Privacy Notice
We may modify this Privacy Notice at any time. If a material change is made to this Privacy Notice, a revised version of the Privacy Notice will be made available to you. The most recent version of this Privacy Notice is always posted at apparentinsurance.com.
Our family of companies
This Privacy Notice applies to Elephant Insurance Company, Elephant Insurance Services, Grove General Agency, and Platinum General Agency.